Retinol has been a skincare buzzword in the U.S. since 1999 and is known as the “gold standard” in anti-aging ingredients due to its’ remarkable ability to reduce the appearance of wrinkles, hyperpigmentation, signs of photodamage, and pore size.
Here’s the kicker: NOT ALL Retinol products are created equal. Follow this simple “cheat sheet” to ensure that you’re choosing the most effective pure Retinol product for your needs, and using it properly to achieve younger-looking skin:
1. Retinol products containing pure and stable Vitamin A are most effective. Retinol’s structure allows it to immediately set to work improving skin’s appearance. In contrast, Retinol esters (pro retinol, retinyl palmitate, retinyl propionate, etc.) first have to be converted into Retinol before they can begin to work.
2. Retinol fights fine lines AND deep wrinkles. Whether you’re looking to prevent future signs of aging or hoping to appear years younger, there’s a Retinol product suited to your needs. For deeper wrinkles, opt for a formula that offers an ultra-effective combination of Retinol and an Essential Mineral Complex.
3. Retinol’s strength is not only determined by its concentration. Retinol’s efficacy relies heavily on its formulation and delivery system. A product containing a higher percentage level of Retinol will not necessarily work better or faster.
4. Retinol must penetrate skin to improve it. Delivering Retinol in an encapsulated form enables it to penetrate into the skin’s surface, improving performance. Many other over-the-counter products only topically coat the skin, compromising results.
5. Retinol can degrade if not packaged properly. An air-tight, opaque tube or bottle helps maintain the formula’s stability by preventing oxygen or UV-light penetration.
6. Retinol works best when introduced gradually to your regimen. Using Retinol is like training for a marathon. Slowly build up your tolerance level—begin by applying a product containing Retinol every other day. Once your skin adjusts to this effective ingredient, you’ll be able to incorporate it into a daily skincare regimen with little chance of flaking or redness.
7. Retinol products can be safely used on sunny days. You don’t have to forego Retinol’s anti-aging benefits during daytime hours. A formula containing SPF 30 will provide adequate protection from the sun’s rays (like RoC’s newest addition, the RETINOL CORREXION® DEEP WRINKLE DAILY MOISTURIZER with SPF 30. It’s clinically shown to visibly reduce the appearance of expression lines and deep wrinkles after 8 weeks of use! Additionally, it contains an exclusive combination of pure Retinol and the latest photostable sunscreen technology from Johnson & Johnson Consumer Products Company that is specifically engineered to deliver UVA and UVB protection with an SPF 30.)
8. Retinol will complement AHA usage. Alpha hydroxy acids exfoliate the skin, enabling Retinol to penetrate into the skin’s surface even more efficiently. A product containing both ingredients is best used at night to avoid sensitivity.
9. Retinol can help prevent the signs of premature aging. Early use of products containing pure and stable Retinol will help to combat fine lines before they start to appear noticeable, so skin continues to look years younger than it’s true age.
10. Retinol improves more than just wrinkles. It not only reduces the appearance of fine lines and deep wrinkles, but also improves skin tone, the signs of photodamage and pore size. Combined with sun protection, it’s the gold standard in anti-aging.
For more information about Retinol, visit RoC® online.