1. Katy Perry sure knew how to get the industry to notice her. During her first visit to the Los Angeles offices of Direct Management Group in early 2004, the singer did cartwheels for the staff. “And then the splits,” recalls manager Bradford Cobb to Billboard.com. “She didn’t stop for the receptionist.
2. Before achieving wide-spread fame, Perry sang the back up vocals on Mick Jagger‘s ”Old Habits Die Hard,” a song featured in the 2004 movie Alfie. Accompanying her on the track was former Pussy Cat Dolls member, Kaya Jones.
3. Fans of Perry are familiar with her beloved cat, Kitty Purry, which has made cameos in the pop star’s music videos and social media accounts. But Kitty is more than just a run-of-the-mill feline–she’s a Main Coon, one of the oldest cat breeds native to North America with above average hunting skills and intelligence. The largest breed of domestic cats, Main Coon males can get up to 25 pounds!
4. Perry was a shy one when it came to high school romances. In 2010, she returned to her alma mater, Dos Pueblos High School in Santa Barbara, California, for a private performance. When she spotted her teenage crush, former quarterback Shane Lopes, in the crowd, the singer called him out, saying “You were the most popular kid in my class! But you never wanted to date me, it was always Amanda Wayne. Oh yeah, you really chose right honey. What’s up now, player.” Lopes claims he was never aware of Perry’s feelings.
5. The road to success for Perry wasn’t easy. After a failed Christian rock career, Perry decided to go with a more pop-sounding aesthetic. She signed with Columbia records in an attempt to make it happen but was soon dropped. It wasn’t until her collaboration with Capitol Music Group and her 2008 release of “I Kissed a Girl” that Perry began seeing success.
6. Perry is an auntie! Her older sister Angela gave birth to a beautiful girl named Kai in 2012. Younger brother David Hudson instagrammed a photo of the new baby, himself, and Perry with the caption, “One thing’s for sure, this baby will know how to make that music.”
7. Oh, and Perry bought the now 1-year old her first pair of Dr. Martens last month.
8. Since we’re talking about Miss Perry’s family, did you know that her younger brother, David Hudson, makes music too? The 25 year old, known by his stage name Hudson, released a debut rock album called The Revolution in August 2013. Perry’s pop music and Hudson’s rock feel is especially interesting considering secular music was banned from their home growing up.
9. Perry is extremely OCD. In an interview with US Weekly, the singer said, “I’m so OCD that I wish the letters OCD were in alphabetical order: CDO.” She blames her strict childhood for the hardship.
10. Cold Stone Creamery’s Birthday Cake Remix, Chanel, and the San Ysidro Ranch in Santa Barbara–these are a few of her favorite things!
11. John Mayer‘s leading lady is not a morning person, and she’s expressed so in her tweets.
12. Rihanna isn’t Perry’s only famous friend. She calls pal DJ Mia Moretti her muse, and even wrote the song “International Smile” about her.
13. While we love to love our girl Perry, an interesting 45-page long document of her supposed tour demands began making rounds on the internet in 2011. It included–crazy enough–a ban on carnations, the requirement of a customized dressing room draped in cream or soft pink, and plenty of SIGG drinking bottles.