Girls with curls know the deal about blow drying hair. Use a blow dryer that’s too hot, and you run the risk of ruining your glorious natural curl pattern. Blow dry too often and you might dry your hair to tumbleweed status. There’s a fine line and many of us have crossed it and had to learn the hard way. So what’s a woman with naturally curly hair to do? Are we to be condemned to a life of perpetually air dried hair, no matter how much of a hurry we’re in? Nay. What you need, is a new hair drying product. Allow me to tell you about some of the latest tools and potions you need to get into:
- Miss Jessie’s Diffuser - I love it when a brand broadens its horizons. Miss Jessie’s earned a solid reputation as one of the first and most popular brands for girls with curls, and now they’ve expanded into hair accessories. The diffuser is generally a curly woman’s best friend, for loosening curls and creating safe, straight styles. Miss Jessie’s diffuser is universal, so it fits most conventional blow-dryers, controlling the air flow and keeping frizz at bay.
- Gleau Nourishing Hair Oil - When you’ve got natural, curly, kinky afro-textured hair you need to take extra special care of it before blasting it with heat. Many naturals use an oil protectant like grapeseed, which has a high smoke point. Natural oil blends are also popular, and Gleau Nourishing Hair Oil is known for adding moisture and shine to hair before and after straightening. Created by Nadege of the popular blog Relaxed Hair Health, the blend includes camellia seed oil, Moroccan argan oil, wheatgerm, coconut oil, vitamin E and more.
- Beautiful Textures Texture Manageability System - Natural hair doesn’t mean you want to be stuck with the same look all the time, part of the beauty of natural hair is its health and versatility. Beautiful Textures created their Texture Manageability System with this in mind, and it promises to revert hair from curly to straight and back again without ruining your curl pattern or damaging your hair’s health.
- Strawllers Humidity-Resistant Wrap and Set Lotion - For those who love an old fashioned roller set look, there are Strawllers, slender rollers that create defined, shiny, springy curls. The Humidity-Resistant Wrap and Set Lotion is the kind of thing that’s perfect for tropic climates where the weather can wilt your look.
- Ouidad Climate Control - Ouidad products work amazingly well for looser curls and they’ve got products intended to make heat straightening or alternative styles easier. Their Climate Control Heat and Humidity Gel keeps your hair hydrated, tames unruly curls, and also promises protection against blow-dryer heat.
- Carol’s Daughter Macadamia Heat Protection Serum – Carol’s Daughter got into the hear protection market in a major way with their Macadamia line. This serum has become a brand favorite, because Macadamia Oil provides a great protective barrier against high heat, and it includes biotin which is beloved for hair growth and protection. Plus their products don’t include parabens, mineral oil, or petroleum so natural hair wearers can proceed without worry.
Contributing Editor, Patrice Grell Yursik is the creator of Afrobella.com, one of the first blogs to celebrate the beauty of natural hair and ladies of all skin tones and sizes. Affectionately called the Godmother of Brown Beauty Blogging, Patrice takes her readers inside unique beauty, fashion and cultural experiences.