WE’RE EXCITED FOR THIS THING CALLED SPRING TO BEGIN. Temperatures are finally shifting from frigid with a chance of snow flurries, and all the fashion and beauty cues are pointing towards sunshine and fresh shoots emerging from the earth. It’s time to get the Spring wardrobe in gear, so when the thermometer indicates the right number, we’re ready to step out in style! Here are my ten plus size spring fashion essentials!
1. A floral blazer. The floral trend can go both ways. Bold and bright = tropical, almost Hawaiian shirt festive. Wispy and pastel = hyper-feminine, sometimes too frou-frou. The waterfall jacket by Bespoke at Simply Be is a great way to go for the feminine, sexy, floral trend without looking like you’re about to go skipping through a meadow.
2. Printed pants. This trend needs to be chosen carefully – the wrong cut or fabrication and your chic look can be summarized with two words. Chef pants. Don’t let them happen to you! These NYDJ twill pants come in a fly tribal tiki Ikat print that will fit and flatter, and the neutral color means they’ll pair brilliantly with a range of colors.
3. Geometric patterns. It’s not that stripes, animal prints and polka dots have gone away, it’s just that this is the season of the geometric pattern. Think bold and retro-futuristic, like this Eloquii geo dress. With the ruched waist, secret pocket and super cute zip details at the back, nobody will mistake this for a thrift store find.
4. A reinvented trench. If the words “trench coat” bring to mind images of a grizzled journalist in khaki, then let us banish all such mental imagery forever. Trench coats can be sexy, bright, elegant and chic and this season Lane Bryant is reinventing the trench in fun patterns and fabrics – think taffeta, bright colors, polka dots! The Lane Bryant polka dot trench is adorable and practical for Spring showers.
5. Chambray for all seasons. The chambray shirt became a ubiquitous staple last fall, and every fashionable woman needs one in her closet for remixing purposes! But chambray doesn’t just have to stop with Western-style button up shirts. Chambray dresses are so cute for Spring, and we’re loving this one from eShakti.com. Cute and fresh for the office or for a weekend garden party.
6. The first spring dress. The first dress of Spring should usher in the season just right. Maybe you love a maxi or midi length. Maybe you’re excited to get your legs out in the sunshine. No matter what you choose, make sure it’s eye catching and makes you feel beautiful. We adore the cut of a skater dress – so timeless and swingy and fun! ASOS Curve makes some great skater dresses, and this orange number with the zip front is giving us life for Spring!
Check out our slideshow for more images of my favorite Spring trends.
Contributing Editor, Patrice Grell Yursik is the creator of Afrobella.com, one of the first blogs to celebrate the beauty of natural hair and ladies of all skin tones and sizes. Affectionately called the Godmother of Brown Beauty Blogging, Patrice takes her readers inside unique beauty, fashion and cultural experiences.