Q: I love white jeans but I am a curvy girl. What is the most flattering way for me to wear them?
A: So many people (curvy and non-curvy) are terrified of white jeans. The truth is, almost anyone can wear white jeans as long as they are conscious of their body type. As a stylist, I have put many of my size 12 clients in white jeans and the results were spectacular. Follow my guidelines are you too can wear a pair of white jeans with confidence.
Know your body type. Knowing your body type is the first step to finding clothing that will flatter your body. There are 5 different types: bigger on the top, bigger on the bottom, bigger in the middle, proportional (hourglass), and no curves. The key is creating balance; here is a little cheat sheet …
- Bigger on the Top: Avoid skinny jeans unless you want to look like your ready to topple over at any moment. A straight leg, a boot cut, or even a flare works best.
- Bigger on the Bottom: Boot cut jeans or trouser jeans will balance your bottom half and create a streamlined silhouette.
- Bigger in the middle: Look for jeans with a higher-rise to flatten out your tummy.
- Proportional: Skinny jeans will look great on you but make sure your jeans have plenty of stretch to skim over your body and to eliminate any gapping in the back.
- No Curves: Skinny jeans are best but boyfriend jeans are a close second as long as you wear something form fitting on the top.
All whites aren’t created equal. There are many different shades of white. If you want to draw a lot of attention to your bottom half then wear a bright white, if you want to draw less attention below the waist then go for cream or off white jeans.
Get crazy on the top. Patterned, colorful, and other loud and crazy tops will bring the focus up to your face and away from your bottom half. This will tone down the intensity of the white pants.
So there you have it, a few tips straight from a stylist’s mouth on how to rock a pair of white jeans with confidence.
Lauren Messiah, is a Los Angeles based stylist and the creator of LaurenMessiah.com, a blog about designer deals, the hottest trends, and Lauren’s life as a fashion stylist.Lauren styles some of Hollywood’s most successful women in entertainment, celebrities, fashion editorials, and national ad campaigns. Lauren has been featured in Marie Claire, Vogue Italia, Grazia, WWD, OK! Magazine and Health Magazine.