|Q:||I am going to New York Fashion Week for the first time and I have no idea what to wear? I am clueless. Help!|
|A:||If I had a dollar for every time I got asked that question … I wouldn’t be rich but I would be able to take myself out to a nice dinner. Getting dressed for Fashion Week, especially your first Fashion Week, can be stressful but it doesn’t have to be. I’m going to make it really simple for you …You know all the cool stuff in your closet that you’ve just been waiting for an occasion to wear? Wear it to Fashion Week.
That’s the short answer.
Here is the long(er) answer: Fashion Week is the one week where you can really have some fun with fashion. There are no “rules” during Fashion Week. What I can give you is a series of do’s and don’ts that will prevent you from becoming a fashion (week) victim.
- Wear what you love! Love sequins, rock em. Crazy hats, let’s do it. Incredibly impractical shoes, uh-huh … it’s on! You getting the point?
- Bring a couple of wardrobe changes. During Fashion Week you’ll change clothing multiple times per day. There are tons of shows, dinners, and parties to attend. One outfit per day just won’t cut it. Bring options. Lots of options.
- Always carry flats. Wear the crazy heels but always have a non-ugly practical pair in your purse. Trust me, you’ll need them.
- Dress for the photographers. Be true to yourself and don’t dress for the street style photographers. You’ll see tons of people that are dressed WAY over the top just for their 15 seconds of street style fame. Don’t do it. It’s sad and not chic.
- Wear “that” item. You know the “that” I’m talking about. The skirt everyone and their mother has from Zara. The shoes that the PR reps obviously planted on every big personal style blogger and fashion editor. Wear what you love, trust me, it will look much better than “that” ever will.
That’s all the advice I have, the rest is up to you. Just remember that NYFW is about the style going down the runway so wear what you love and don’t make yourself sick over it.
Lauren Messiah, is a Los Angeles based stylist and the creator of LaurenMessiah.com, a blog about designer deals, the hottest trends, and Lauren’s life as a fashion stylist.Lauren styles some of Hollywood’s most successful women in entertainment, celebrities, fashion editorials, and national ad campaigns. Lauren has been featured in Marie Claire, Vogue Italia, Grazia, WWD, OK! Magazine and Health Magazine.