As an old year draws to a close, everyone starts making plans for the new year. January means a flood of new gym memberships, diets and plans for self improvement. This year, we’re encouraging you to also consider making some beauty resolutions. Beauty resolutions aren’t about being superficial, on the contrary. It’s about a holistic approach to self-care, and learning new life-improving skill. Here are five beauty resolutions for you to make in the New Year!
- Drink more water. There are so many reasons to drink more water, including improving the function of your internal organs, enhancing the growth of your hair and nails, and improving the appearance of your skin.
- Never go to sleep with makeup on. We all know we’re supposed to do this, but it’s so easy to stumble in from a late night out and just fall asleep with a full face on. Besides waking up with mascara on your pillow, you’re also clogging your pores and potentially exacerbating an acne problem. Put your favorite makeup removal wipes and/or a bottle of makeup removing oil by your bedside for those super lazy nights.
- Take a hands-off approach. When you get a zit few things are more irresistible or satisfying than getting your fingers on it, but that’s the last thing you need to you. Touching your face in general, doesn’t lead to clean and healthy skin. Your fingers are repositories for bacteria, and touching your face generally leads to a possibility of infection. If in doubt, use a Q-Tip or one of those handy blemish extraction tools from Sephora.
- Give your skin what it needs. Half of the time your skin and hair are trying to tell you something. Maybe the products you’re using are too harsh. Maybe you’re not using enough moisturizer. Maybe that patch that seems like it’s a rash, actually is the first sign of eczema. Consider kicking off the year with a visit to a dermatologist to make sure you’re taking the best possible care of your body’s largest organ.
- Master a new makeup technique. Curious about contouring? Don’t know how to apply false lashes? Want to conquer a Kardashian-quality smoky eye? There’s an online tutorial for that, or a class at your local Sephora or Ulta. Teach yourself something new!
- Be gentle with yourself and appreciate what you’ve got. We spend way too much time judging ourselves, judging others, and judging ourselves as we relate to others. Let’s leave that behind in the old year, and move forward in a spirit of self love from head to toe.
Contributing Editor, Patrice Grell Yursik is the creator of Afrobella.com, one of the first blogs to celebrate the beauty of natural hair and ladies of all skin tones and sizes. Affectionately called the Godmother of Brown Beauty Blogging, Patrice takes her readers inside unique beauty, fashion and cultural experiences.