Well, we can’t say that we saw this trend coming. Like crocs and UGG boots, the Birkenstock style sandal has been long considered a practical shoe option, but hardly a fashionable one. There’s no surprise in seeing the minimalistic, leather design on the steppers of long haired hippies and ladies out running a quick errand, but on the manicured feet of Vogue girls? Say what?
The irreverence of the masculine, chunky, and stereotypically “ugly” sandal paired with expensive and sleek couture is, in a way, what fashionistas are finding most appealing about the Birkenstock trend right now. It’s the balance between sophisticated and effortless, fantastical and practical. The sandal style has caught the eye of high fashion designers like Marni, Helmut Lang, Givenchy, Celine, and Giambattista Valli, who have all produced their own spin of the iconic shoe. If you’re keen to try the trend this spring and summer, pair your slip-ons with something pretty on top, like silky cropped trousers, a feminine dress, or a flirty skirt. The juxtaposition of boyish on the bottom with a chic ensemble will make the look work.
1. Giambattista Valli Studded Double-Band Slide, available at Barneys New York, price available upon request
2. Boundree Sandal, available at Steve Madden for $89.95
3. Birkenstock ‘Arizona’ Soft Footbed Nubuck Sandal, available at Nordstrom for $129.95
4. Helmut Lang Black and White Leather Pebble Schist Sandal, available at Ssense.com for $550
5. Asos ‘Far Out Man’ Leather Sandals, available at Asos.com for $56.46
6. Bio Sandal, available at Zara for $89.90
7. Givenchy Floral Printed Leather Sandals, available at Farfetch.com for $895
8. Sam Edelman ‘Arina’ Sandal, available at Nordstrom for $119.95