Laid-back and elegant aren’t two terms we often see paired, but Alexa Chung has managed to balance both seemingly contradictorily characteristics into her personal look, creating style envy everywhere with her mastery of “effortlessly chic” fashion. The British model, contributor to Vogue U.K., and television personality is recognizable for more than just her successful career thanks to her impeccable street style: her wavy lob of perfect beach waves (use Garnier Fructis Style De-Constructed Beach Chic Texturing Spray), her naturally applied makeup and flawless cat-eye, and an ensemble made up of the latest trends from the hottest designers but worn in an approachable, casual way.
We’re not making it up—Chung’s an absolute style icon, and we’re eager to pass along some tips on how to mimic her look. To steal her style, it’s important to think about balance and proportion when getting dressed in the morning. If you’re wearing a billowy blouse, pair it with tight pants and sleek booties. If your dress is minimalistic, make a statement with your shoes. Chung knows how to turn heads without overdoing it, mixing luxe, modern pieces with toned-down items.
As for wardrobe basics, this London girl loves her skinnies, shirts, and shifts. Have at least two pairs of great-fitting, neutral-color fitted jeans, some basic tees and collared button-downs, and easy-fitting, above-the-knee dresses that can be worn with tights or bare-legged. Then mix things up with a balance of trendy pieces and classics: an iconic bag and forever-handy blazer, for example, as well as some edgy overalls and a crazy flats. To spark your imagination, we’ve rounded up some pieces that Chung would approve of.
Hair: Fructis Style De-Constructed Beach Chic Texturizing Spray, available at Walmart for $3.47
1. Collection rylan blazer in seersucker, available at J.Crew for $325
2. Isabella Azulejo “Esmeralda” button-up, available at Shopnouvelles.com for $276
3. Blanca dress in stripes, available at Madewell for $158
4. Printed off-shoulder dress, available at Zara for $79.90
5. Current/Elliott “Ranchhand’ stretch-denim overalls, available at Net-a-porter.com
6. Frame denim “”Le Skinny de Jeanne distressed midrise skinny jeans, available at Net-a-porter.com for $199
7. Mini “City” bag, available at Zara for $79.90
8. Jeffrey Campbell “You Weren’t Kitten” flats, available at Modcloth.com for $139.99
9. Chloé metallic coral T-strap Mary Janes, available at Stylebop.com for $543
10. Snake-print duster coat, available at Topshop for $158