Brown pleaded not guilty to one count of assault and one of making criminal threats. Rihanna was not present at the hearing.
If convicted, Brown could face a sentence of up to four years and eight months in prison, CNN reports. His lawyers have also been in “serious” plea-bargain negotiations with prosecutors and are “close” to a deal, according to TMZ.
Neither lawyers nor reps for Brown and Rihanna were immediately available for comment. Brown’s next scheduled court appearance a status hearing, set for April 29.
Related Articles on TVGuide.com
- Chris Brown Charged with Two Felonies, Arraignment Postponed
- Chris Brown Due in Court for Arraignment
- No Love Duet for Rihanna and Chris Brown After Arrest?
- Chris Brown’s Manager Denies Sending Text, Affair with Singer
- TVGuide.com Poll: Chris Brown and Rihanna Face Fan Fallout
- See clips, performances and more of Chris Brown in our Online Video Guide
Other Links From TVGuide.com