A last, Girls is back with season 2 and our Sundays are making sense once again. While we’re looking forward to the character drama that’s sure to develop for Marnie, Hannah, Jessa and Shoshanna and anticipating the lustworthy looks costume designer Jenn Rogien will style for the girls, there’s a third proponent of excitement for the return of Lena Dunham’s hit show; the music! The series just released Girls – Volume 1: Music from the Original HBO Series, an album that includes tracks featured in the first season and some from the current. The star artists of the compilation include Swedish pop sensation Robyn and Brookyln based bad-girl, Santigold.
If you watched this year’s Golden Globes, you probably heard Robyn’s “Dancing on My Own” carrying Lena Dunham to the stage as she accepted both her awards. Label sources indicate that the song’s daily sales have since tripled from the normal average since. Plus, the catchy tune is the lead cut on the new Girls album. How exciting! Robyn is an inspiration in and out of the recording studio, with hit international dance tracks as well as standout style to take note of. Channel her quirky futuristic fashion (she must be overjoyed with this season’s hologram trend!) with some of her signature pieces; patterned creeper sneakers, statement skinnies, metallic crop tops and fearless accessories.
1. The Legging Grey Super Skinny Crushed Velvet Pants by Adriano Goldschmied, available at Shopbop.com for $305
2. Balenciaga Cropped Top, available at Farfetch.com for $704.27
3. Mania Mania Telepathic Ear Cuff, available at Shopbop.com for $190
4. Crystal Gazer Cuff, available at Nastygal.com for $38
5. Moonspoon Buffalo Flatforms, available at Topshop for $290
The album’s other main track is from Santigold and is appropriately titled“Girls.” The music video just dropped and just like the show it was made for and Santigold herself, it’s innovative, funky and fresh. Check it out here! If the track throws you into Santigold obsession mode, channel the groove goddess with fashion she’d approve of. Even away from the music, Santigold’s style is totally appropriate for a street savvy, downtown vibin’ Brooklyn babe, and we got the look to match.
1. Jean Paul Gaultier Archive Buttoned Playsuit, available at Farfetch.com for $521.59
2. Sheldon Copper Vintage Sunglasses, available at Giant Vintage for $24
3. Sex Symbol Hoop Earrings, available at Nastygal.com for $55
4. Irlaisa Feather Jacket by Malene Birger, available at My Theresa for $813
5. Arabel Cut Out Studded Boots, available at Topshop for $180
6. Geo Studded Bumbag, available at Topshop for $50