Music’s biggest night, The Grammy Awards, is right around the corner. Last night, Taylor Swift and LL Cool J hosted the 55th annual ceremony’s live nominations special, announcing Frank Ocean, Fun., Jay-Z, and Kanye West as some of the night’s top contenders, with six nominations each. While we were tuned in to the night’s roll call and stellar performances, there was one belle of the ball who we couldn’t keep our eyes off of: Janelle Monaé. The petite, pompadoured powerhouse not only shared the bill with Fun. on potential Record of the Year “We Are Young,” she carried off an easy, breezy, beautiful makeup look from Covergirl that we all can emulate. Lucky for us — and you — Monaé’s celebrity makeup artist, Ashunta Sheriff was gracious enough to reveal her makeup secrets and give us a step-by-step guide to get the “Tightrope” singer’s bold-lipped Covergirl beauty look.
1. Start by evening out the skin tone and reducing redness with the Simply Ageless Serum Primer.
2. Apply the Queen Collection Natural Hue Liquid Makeup to eliminate any imperfections for a flawless foundation.
3. Highlight your face, paying special attention to the bridge of your nose, cheekbones, and center of your forehead, with a light Queen Collection Natural Hue Bronzer then choose a darker color to sculpt and contour.
4. Add a bit of color to your cheeks using the Simply Ageless Sculpting Blush — Monaé is pictured here wearing Lush Berry.
5. Move on to the eyes. Grab the Eye Enhancers 3-Kit Shadows in Golden Sunset. Apply the lighter shade on the lid and use the darkest in the crease, then blend together for a natural finish.
6. Line the eyes with the Liquiline Blast Eyeliner in Black Fire along the top and bottom waterline.
7. Finish the eyes with the Clump Crusher by LashBlast Mascara for that extra eye-popping power.
8. Top off your glowing Covergirl face with a major pop of pink. Apply the LipPerfection Lipcolor in Spellbound without any lipliner. Blot with a tissue and apply a second coat, set with a translucent powder, and apply a third and final layer for long lasting lip power.