If you’re still catching up on our Summer 2013 Book Report, keep reading! In case you’ve devoured all our recommended reads, it’s time to fill your shelf and load up your Kindle with this season’s best books.
1. The Husband’s Secret by Liane Moriarty. Don’t let the Lifetime Movie Network-esque title fool you, this romantic mystery is anything but cheesy chic-lit. The lives of three Australian women intertwine and twist while dealing with infidelity, guilt, and love in this funny yet touching page-turner.
2. Dissident Gardens by Jonathan Lethem. Get in while it’s hot, Jonathan Lethem’s new novel is already being pegged as one of the best of the year. Follow the saga of two politically charged Queens women and their families throughout three decades. You’ll be drawn in by the emotionally complex stories of their New York neighborhood of political radicals.
3. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell. Cath Avery is a fan fiction writer and college freshman who prefers the fandom to her real, mostly dysfunctional life. Will she be able to move on with her own life without the comfort of her fandom and her twin sister Wren?
4. Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened by Allie Bosh. Even if you aren’t (yet!) a fan of Bosh’s uber popular blog, you’ll be able to relate to her self-depreciating comedy and personal stories on love, fear, and depression. Part graphic novel, you won’t be able to put this one down (unless it’s to cry or laugh so hard your stomach hurts).
5. The Goldfinch by Donna Tart. This stunning novel might take you some time (it’s 700+ pages) but the story of Leo Decker will stay with you long after you’re finished reading. After an explosion at the Metropolitan Museum of Art kills his mom at age 13, you’ll journey with Leo through his wonderfully eccentric life.
DEAR READER, COVER YOUR KINDLE: If you’re like us, you’ve avoided grabbing a case for your Kindle and may have acquired a scratch or two while traveling. We recently grabbed a Speck FitFolio for our Kindle Touch that combines a hardshell case with a super soft microsuede exterior. Stylish and protected? Check!