It’s a new year and you’re feeling ready for a new you. A different haircut or color is a bold move that needs careful consideration. Body transformation and fitness requires ongoing time and effort. What’s a way you can make a fresh new start to kick off the New Year in style? Say it with us – MAKEUP. All you need is a different perspective, a few new products, and a can do attitude, and a whole new look awaits you. This beauty resolution takes a little effort, but offers a whole lot in return. If you’re looking for new ways to revamp your beauty routine, then read on for helpful tips you can try right now!
- Master a new technique. Most of us are just doing the best we can with the makeup thing. We have a few key products that we know how to use, and we reach for them whenever we’re in a hurry and need to be somewhere. We might say we wish we knew how to pull of a certain look – think, red lip or smoky eye, but do we ever make the effort? Probably not. And it doesn’t even take that much effort! If you want to figure out how to rock a smoky eye or a cat eye, or a double cat eye, all you need to do is go to YouTube, search, and watch a few videos. Try the look yourself before wearing it out somewhere. All it takes is a little visual inspiration and a little practice in the application. You’ll be rocking a new makeup technique in no time and everyone will want to know how you did it.
- Try a new color. So often we went to find our faves and play it safe. Just because you work in an environment that requires a clean, natural look, or you are scared of bold and brights, doesn’t mean you shouldn’t give a new color a try. You don’t even have to go that far out of your comfort zone. If you usually rock a delicate pink, give a deeper hue a try – maybe fuchsia. If you usually wear bold reds and oranges, try switching it up to a soft rose or find a perfect nude lip. Don’t be predictable, express yourself!
- Find your perfect match. Many of us complain about not having the right kind of foundation or concealer, and many women of color believe that companies aren’t offering products for us in our range of skin tones. Maybe that used to be true, but it isn’t as much any more. Brands have expanded their range and now there’s makeup out there for just about everyone – even brands that will custom make colors for you! So if you haven’t yet found your perfect match, check out CoverFX or Prescriptives or Three Custom Color or Becca Cosmetics. There’s something out there for all of us, regardless of race, color, or undertone.
- Get a professional makeover. You know the ladies who work at Sephora, Ulta and your neighborhood department store got their jobs based on skills. These are ladies and gentlemen who know their stuff and are eagerly waiting to demonstrate for you or even on you. All it takes is some time, some willingness to try new things, and maybe $50 worth of new products which you’ll likely learn how to use right then during your makeover. It’s a win win! And by the way you don’t have to just get a pro makeover for a special event, you can ask them to demonstrate a nude smoky eye for work, or whatever your specific beauty asks are.
- Go to a professional beauty event. If you live in a major city, it’s totally possible that The Makeup Show is coming to you sometime this year. Get a ticket, see a seminar, expand your knowledge and understanding of the art and the industry! If The Makeup Show seems too big, look at Meetup.com for local beauty or makeup events. There’s a community of beauty lovers out there waiting to be discovered.
Contributing Editor, Patrice Grell Yursik is the creator of Afrobella.com, one of the first blogs to celebrate the beauty of natural hair and ladies of all skin tones and sizes. Affectionately called the Godmother of Brown Beauty Blogging, Patrice takes her readers inside unique beauty, fashion and cultural experiences.