After making international headlines for his interview with Vanity Fair —his first since his scandal broke in 2011—John Galliano will speak to the world once again with help from Charlie Rose.
The disgraced designer is set to sit down with the seasoned journalist on his PBS show this week for a full hour – no commercials, no breaks, just the pair – to coincide with Galliano’s exclusive interview with Ingrid Sischy. “It seemed like a good platform for John to get his story across,” Liz Rosenberg, Galliano’s publicist, told Women’s Wear Daily.
While on the surface, it may seem to be a departure for not only the designer but for the host himself, who regularly sits across from politicians, financiers, and dignitaries; the show has served as a required stop for the world’s movers and shakers who’ve dealt with bad press.
Adding to his fashion cred, Rose has hosted Marc Jacobs and Tom Ford on several occasions and counts Oscar de la Renta as a good friend. After opening up his studio to Galliano for his highly praised Fall 2013 collection, de la Renta put in a good word for the sit-down. “Charlie Rose has a very close relationship with Oscar,” Rosenberg said. “Oscar had been talking to John about the possibility of doing an interview with Charlie.”
Galliano has endured an uphill battle since his controversial comments sparked his suspension, and later, his dismissal from Dior and his eponymous label. But he didn’t let opportunity pass him by. Prior to his tenure with de la Renta, Kate Moss’ wedding gown was his first job after the scandal. Since then he received an offer to become an adjunct professor at Parsons but because of a misunderstanding with the course, it was cancelled. He also had some of his work included the Met’s Punk: Chaos to Couture exhibit though he did not make an appearance at the opening gala.
The show is set to tape June 12 with the an air date yet to be determined, but we’re certain that it won’t just be fashionistas who will be tuning in and DVR-ing the special when it airs.