Coachella. Bonaroo. Lollapalooza.
Those are just the big three of American music festivals – now it seems like every major city has a hot summer music fest that involves a full day – or more – of live music, food and fun in the sun. One day music festivals are a breeze – by the next day you’re refreshed and back into the swing of things. Three day music festivals will put you and your self-care regimen to the test. Any festival that involves three back to back days of all day outdoor, rain or shine live music can take a toll on your usual beauty, health and hair regimen.
I made it through three days of Lollapalooza, and I came home with fresh inspiration to make the next festival experience even better, easier and more enjoyable. Here are my music festival hair, beauty and life rescue hacks for your next outdoor music experience!
- Sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen. After-sun care. If you don’t wear sunscreen (and reapply!) while at a music festival, you’re destined to regret it. For post-fest facial skincare, I like to stash my favorite moisturizing serum or cold cream in the fridge for instant refreshment. For body, I recommend a deeply moisturizing shea butter based moisturizer or pure aloe vera gel if you’re sunburned.
- Prepare for rain or shine. It totally poured at Lollapalooza, but I was fine with that. Always check the festival’s FAQ and the weather report before heading out and plan your outfit accordingly! Some festivals allow umbrellas, some don’t. Definitely think about bringing a waterproof blanket and a small rain poncho for those days when rain is expected. DON’T wear flip flops. I saw so many abandoned flip flops on the last day of Lolla!
- Have a post-festival recovery plan. When you get home from an all-day music fest, you are hungry and tired. This is the time when you’ll be so happy that you stocked your freezer with frozen pizzas and tater tots. Try to eat healthy to replace the minerals you’re depleting. Drink lots of water to re-hydrate, and cut up some fruit for pre-packaged smoothies the next morning.
- Treat your feet. After a really fun fest, your feet are torn up and if you wore open toed shoes, they’re filthy. This is the time for Epsom salts. Take a bath, or have your foot spa clean and out and ready to be put to use when you return home. Soak, soothe, feel the relief.
- Detox inside and out. Why do some festival goers do their best to become slathered in mud? Maybe they’re on to something. Using a clay based mask the day after a concert is a great way to deeply cleanse your pores of the muck they endured.
Contributing Editor, Patrice Grell Yursik is the creator of Afrobella.com, one of the first blogs to celebrate the beauty of natural hair and ladies of all skin tones and sizes. Affectionately called the Godmother of Brown Beauty Blogging, Patrice takes her readers inside unique beauty, fashion and cultural experiences.