When it comes to styling a nautical-inspired ensemble, navy striped pieces, gold-button detailing, and preppy boat shoes are more times than not the go-to articles, but a nautical look can step outside those commonplace pairings. In our high-sea style, instead we went with an ocean blue-green dress as the center point of the outfit. Underneath the flirty frock, a complementing sailboat-covered string bikini offers the sweet look with a naughty nautical detail.
Speaking of naughty nautical, this outfit calls for the essie nail polish by the same name. The pretty sea shade perfectly coordinates with the dress and swimsuit. Use it alone or in combination with the periwinkle color “rock the boat” for a sailor-striped mani. To get the look, first prep your nails with an essie base coat. Apply two layers of “rock the boat.” After they have dried, apply four wide stripes of “naughty nautical,” leaving a thin band of “rock the boat” visible in between. Let this dry. Apply a second coat to the stripes, if needed. A tip to keep in mind: For uniform lines, start at the base and tip of each nail and then place two more lines down the center. Seal and shine the lovely look with an essie topcoat
With your clothing picked out and your nails done, it’s time to complete the outfit with a pair of wedge sandals. The espadrille look is a refreshing alternative to Topsiders, and we love how the woven fibers compliment the rope bracelet. With your sweet, unique sailor look complete, it’s anchors aweigh and full steam ahead into a stylish summer.
1. Spearmint for You dress, available at Modcloth.com, $49.99
2. Milly Biarritz boat-print triangle bikini, available at Net-a-porter.com, $87.50
3. Blu Bijoux red nautical wrap bracelet, available at Maxandchloe.com, $20
4. Woo-Hoo Two Part Flatforms, available at Topshop for $90
5. Tory Burch Jaden tote, available at Shopbop.com, $250
6. Nautical stud earrings, available at Macy’s, $60
7. rock the boat, available at essie.com, $8
8. naughty nautical, available at essie.com, $8