Rocking the sporty-luxe look that appeared on the fall 2013 runways of Rag & Bone, Alexander Wang, and Proenza Schouler is all about balancing classic sportswear and high fashion. An ensemble that juxtaposes the two in the right way is ultra contemporary, unique, and sure to turn heads.
To try the trend yourself, either mix sporty pieces into your usual street-style wear, pairing your favorite team’s jersey, for example, with skinny jeans and stiletto heels, or simply find athletic gear that already features the stylish twist you’re looking for. Hot pieces that work include joggers in more fitted form, baseball caps in upgraded textures or patterns, haute tops in neoprene or jersey material, or jackets with a letterman design. Don’t style them all together, though. Instead, keep the look subtle by focusing on just a couple of articles with sportswear appeal and mixing in other pieces that make less of a statement. Finish your look off with a gym-ready bag with a modern vibe and a pair of athletic-inspired kicks—we like ours bold, bright, and in high-top style.
1. Opening Ceremony Reno OC Varsity Jacket, available at Opening Ceremony for $365
2. DKNY Color Block Cotton French Terry Top, available at Net-a-porter.com for $195
3. Number 47 Dress, available at Zara for $49
4. Radiant Duffle Bag, available at Puma for $40
5. Modernist Baseball Cap, available at Forever 21 for $8.80
6. Haute Hippie Silk Chiffon Sweatpants, available at Stylebop.com for $290
7. Puma x Rime Luxe Sky Wedge, available at RimeNYC.com for $130 (in stores December 6th, available for pre-order starting Black Friday)