Sophie Théallet—2009 CFDA winner, thus fashion’s newest darling—recently showed a folklore-inspired collection, and asked Antoinette Beenders for Aveda to translate her rural vision into a romantic hairstyle. “The collection this season is inspired by folklore, so we wanted to take that sweet feeling and rough it up with some texture and tousled volume,” says Beenders. “This look captures the idea of a country girl who becomes a princess—quickly pulling her messy hair up into a beautiful and romantic style.”
Here’s how to recreate the look:
1. Prep damp hair with Aveda Volumizing Tonicâ„¢ for volume and shine, massaging it into roots. Blow-dry hair at half speed.
2. Create a deep side part and separate the fringe and hair around the face.
3. Sprinkle Aveda Pure Abundanceâ„¢ Hair Potion into the rest of the hair for matte texture and tousled volume, massaging it into the scalp.
4. Slightly backcomb hair at the crown, using a wide-tooth comb to create a textured, distressed look. Spray with Aveda Control Forceâ„¢ Hair Spray for maximum hold.
5. Pull hair into a low, loose, half-up ponytail and secure with an elastic band, leaving the fringe and front wisps loose.
6. Divide remaining bottom half of hair into right and left sections. Backcomb the right section and twist it over the ponytail elastic. Secure hair just to the left side of the ponytail using hair pins.
7. Take the remaining left section of free hair and create another loose ponytail behind the left ear. Spray with Aveda Control Forceâ„¢ Hair Spray (available in June 2010).
8. Combine the two ponytails by pinning them together behind the left ear. Sprinkle Aveda Pure Abundanceâ„¢ Hair Potion liberally through the length of the ponytail and tousle with fingers to create texture. Finish the look with Aveda Control Forceâ„¢ Hair Spray.
xx, India-Jewel Jackson