Oscar de la Renta Slashes Show Invites

By  August 27, 2013

oscar01

Oscar de la Renta wants to be deliberate about who is allowed to see his clothing when he debuts his Spring 2014 collection on September 10th during New York Fashion Week.

“I feel like [inviting a more targeted audience] is the most manageable way and the most civilized way,” the two-time CFDA president told Women’s Wear Daily. “Why have 20 million people with zero connection to the clothes?”

Precisely the reason why de la Renta has slashed the number of attendees for his show in half. Last year he showed two shows with a maximum capacity of 316. This year, he will only have one show with a maximum capacity of 350. “When you do megashows, it loses the reason why we are showing,” the Dominican designer said. “It’s important for [certain industry professionals] to look at the clothes and see them. They shouldn’t have to go through 30,000 people, and 10,000 people who are trying to take pictures of those people who are are totally unrelated to the clothes.”

Admittedly another contributing factor was the overlap that takes place when one designer shows twice. “I hate to inconvenience people, as I hope other people wouldn’t want to inconvenience me.”

And, with that, your fashion GPS just got a little less hectic.