If raiding your grandmother’s jewelry chest and vintage shopping are your idea of a good time, then chances are you are an eclectic warrior. Sarah Jessica Parker, Helena Bonham Carter, and the ladies from the blog Advanced Style are your personal style heroes. This style may look thrown together but there is an art to achieving this unique sense of style.
It takes a lot of creativity and a discerning eye to master the eclectic look but the good news is that it can be learned. Keep reading then grab your purse and head to your local vintage boutique because it’s time to get kooky.
What you’ll need:
- A healthy stash of costume jewelry
- A closet full of color (neutrals are for the birds)
- Scarves, hats, and turbans
- Zany glasses
- Fun shoes
- Mix and Match. This particular style has tons of space for rule breaking. Mix prints, colors, and textures. Heck, mix whatever you can get your hands on. Animal prints and floral prints are a delicious pairing as are polka dots and plaid. Turn some heads. Get crazy. The wilder the better.
- More is more. Love bracelets? Then stack them up to your elbows … on both arms. The old “take one thing off before leaving the house” rule doesn’t apply here. Earrings, necklaces, rings, and bracelets can all be worn at once. Throw on a hat too if you really want to shake things up.
- Layers are welcome. Just as you pile on your accessories, pile on the clothing as well. Layers add dimension and visual interest to an outfit. Treat your body like an art project; change your mood and silhouette by layering up your favorite pieces.
- Keep a common thread. Going wild is totally encouraged with the eclectic style but in order to keep from looking like a crazy lady you need at least one element to tie everything together. It could be through your color palette (one or two re-appearing colors), a certain print, or fabrication.
Now you are ready to take on the world as that carefree, free spirited, and stylish woman that has always been hiding inside you. Be free, Eclectic Warrior.
Lauren Messiah, is a Los Angeles based stylist and the creator of LaurenMessiah.com, a blog about designer deals, the hottest trends, and Lauren’s life as a fashion stylist.Lauren styles some of Hollywood’s most successful women in entertainment, celebrities, fashion editorials, and national ad campaigns. Lauren has been featured in Marie Claire, Vogue Italia, Grazia, WWD, OK! Magazine and Health Magazine.