Executive Chef Randy Evans of Brennan’s of Houston has a passion for using the freshest ingredients in ways that go beyond his heralded creative Creole-style cuisine. This recipe, which utilizes delicious Satsuma oranges, is case in point. Try it to capture and taste the bright citrus flavor of Satsuma oranges any time of year. (Click here for Chef Evans’ canning tips.)
Yield: 1 1/2 Quarts
3 1/2 cups Satsuma juice
1 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
5 cups granulated sugar
1 pkg Sure-Jell
1. Bring the juice and Sure-Jell up to a boil in a high-sided saucepot, stirring continuously.
2. Boil for 1 minute. The boil should be a hard boil that will not stir down.
3. Add the sugar and bring to a hard rolling boil for 1 minute.
4. Pour into sanitized jelly jars, then place the sanitized lid and ring on the jars. Screw down hand-tight.
5. Process in boiling water canner for 10 minutes.
6. Remove from boiling water place on a towel-lined surface & allow to cool. Once cool let sit overnight. Check for proper seal by depressing on the lid. If lid pops, refrigerate and use ASAP. For those that sealed properly, label & place in a dark, cool place.
7. Follow proper sanitizing techniques that are given in the packaging of the jars.