Out of a man hole and into the Brooklyn jungle, Katy Perry struts her stuff in the latest promo for the 2013 VMAs in stylish grunge attire and accompanied by one cool kitty. The singer, set to perform her latest single “Roar” at the awards show August 25th, stars in the rock ‘n roll themed commercial with a beautiful Bengal tiger and her gang of punked out #KatyCats. Her pleated plaid skirt, leopard creepers, and around the waist sweatshirt are ’90s grunge staples, and the fitted cropped top and thigh highs add appropriately “bad to the bone” type touches. We love the throwback style, an especially relevant look this season with disheveled rocker punk fashion having starred on the fall runways of Saint Laurent, Versace, and more earlier this year. Though Perry’s ’90s ensemble is more Nirvana than N’Sync, it comes just in time for the big announcement that Justin Timberlake will be reuniting with his old boy-bandmates at MTV’s big night. So much pre-millennial excitement in the air! Will you be tuning in?
1. Closed Cashmere Pullover in Hunter Green, available at Stylebop.com for $310
2. UNIF Grail Cross Cropped Top, available at Revolveclothing.com for $63
3. UNIQLO Women’s Knee High Socks 2 Pack, available at UNIQLO for $12.90
4. Underground Wulfrun Creeper Black Large Leopard Suede, available at Office.co.uk for $55
5. Alice + Olivia Fizer Box-Pleated Skirt, available at Neiman Marcus for $198