In honor of the launch of Lilliana Vazquez‘ new book, The Cheap Chica’s Guide to Style: Secrets to Shopping Cheap and Looking Chic, we caught up with the shopping pro to talk all things retail. From coupon tricks to making besties with the sales people, Vazquez holds more than a few little known tips in her shopping arsenal. Vazquez provided us with seven tips that you’re going to want to take to heart as you indulge your inner shopaholic while sticking to you budget!
- When you find salespeople you love, make friends! Find out their work schedules and always ask for them when you visit their stores. They can give you a heads-up about upcoming sales, hold items for you, and notify you when styles you’d like or sizes you need come in.
- “Come back soon” isn’t just a familiar phrase on store signage – it’s also good advice for smart shopping. The more you shop at your favorite stores, the more familiar you’ll become with their practices. Were you there just last week, and merchandise is already on sale? You’ll know it may not be the steal that the new customer think it is.
- If you are required to spend $100 to get the deal, don’t give the salesperson other coupons first that will reduce your total.
- Check the website before you buy. There might be an online-only sale going on, and sometimes retailers have printable coupons on their sites that you can use in-store.
- When making a purchase online, check sites like Poachit.com or Retailmenot.com for discount codes.
- Flash Sale Sites: Work from the bottom up. Most people click on the first sale and work their way down, which means that those items will sell out first. Start at the bottom to score great deals before the rest of the populace even gets them.
- TGIT – Thank Goodness it’s Thursday. That’s when most stores restock their supplies and begin to mark things down for weekend sales, making Thursday the optimum day to hit the shops.