T Magazine’s latest “By the Numbers” feature shines a light on the fashion bible: Vogue. It’s about time, if you ask us, since it’s kind of what makes the fashion world go round. And despite how much we talk about Anna Wintour and the empire that is Vogue, there were some things we were surprised to learn.
- Wintour loves Amber Valletta. The actress has appeared on the cover 17 times since Anna Wintour has been editor-in-chief. Before Wintour, Diana Vreeland favored Brigitte Bauer and Jean Shrimpton, who each covered the magazine 19 times.
- In Wintour’s first five years as editor in chief, 13% of covers featured celebrities; over the last five years, 93% of covers featured celebrities.
- Vogue’s longest reigning editor in chief, Edna Woolman Chase, served 37 years.
- There’s only been one hashtag ever printed on the magazine: #worldsmosttalkedaboutcover in April 2014. Sigh.
- The glossy, while high fashion, is no stranger to the wilderness. Vogue has featured 19 exotic animals in fashion spreads alongside famous faces, including a cheetah (with Kim Basinger), an elephant (with Keira Knightley), a skunk (with Reese Witherspoon), a gibbon (with Marisa Berenson) and a python (with Nastassja Kinski).
- It’s rumored that Wintour has a $200,000 clothing allowance. Bring on the Prada.