“That is so last season!” A snooty little phrase that often passes through the lips of the uber wealthy. I say “Whatever!” to that, (with a giant “w” hand signal to match) because these days, it’s downright foolish to pay retail for today’s top trends. Why? Because the shelf life on past season items has just been extended.
Let me break it down for you: I’m a bargain hunter – a luxury bargain hunter to be exact. I want the real deal but I don’t want to pay full price. In this column I am going to show you how to take last season’s luxury goods, which are currently on super-sale, and create looks that reflect the trends of today. Sound like fun? Of course it does.
The first trend up to bat is the leather trend. It is now fashionably acceptable to wear leather during the warm and sunny months. Thank goodness for that because I am sick of getting the side-eye every time I bust out my leather moto jacket during springtime.
Look #1: 3.1 Phillip Lim Spring 2013
Bust out a colored leather jacket and pair it with mixed up florals for a fresh spring look.
- VEDA jacket - Original price $880; Now $450.03
- Lucus Hugh graphic top - Original price $225; Now $99
- Gucci black and white floral pants - Original Price $1,535; now $430
- White Jimmy Choo shoes - Original price $695; Now $280.02
- Bing Bang earrings – Original price $35; Now $20
Look #2: Balenciaga Spring 2013
A beige leather jacket never goes out of style as long as it’s in a classic cut – this on sale version actually has more staying power.
- Joseph beige leather jacket - Original price $1,950; Now $685.03
- Proenza Schouler mini skirt - Original price $3,650; Now $1,460
- Iris & Ink white button down shirt - Exclusive sale price $115
- Tabitha Simmons booties - Original price $1,695; Now $423.75
- Eddie Borgo gold necklace - Original price $165; Now $82.50
Look #3: ALC Spring 2013
This relaxed look is perfect for the weekend. Why would you want to spend full price on weekend clothes? Marinate on that one …
- Georgie weekend pants - Original price $248.00; Now $169.00
- Karl Lagerfeld two-tone vest - Original price $675; Now $234.97
- Jil Sander strappy shoes - Original price $1,095; Now $439.97
- Theyskens Theory white tank - Original price $130; Now $39
Lauren Messiah, is a Los Angeles based stylist and the creator of LaurenMessiah.com, a blog about designer deals, the hottest trends, and Lauren’s life as a fashion stylist.Lauren styles some of Hollywood’s most successful women in entertainment, celebrities, fashion editorials, and national ad campaigns. Lauren has been featured in Marie Claire, Vogue Italia, Grazia, WWD, OK! Magazine and Health Magazine.