GET THE LATEST IN FASHION + BEAUTY
Top 10 Destinations for Green and Sustainable Travel
By Lauren Barth October 12, 2011
Get off the beaten path and explore Mother Nature’s most untouched territories.
1. Jordan Family Adventure: Jordan’s eco-lodges combine local heritage and educational experiences while exploring a mix of modernity, ancient wonders and nature. Think horse or camel safaris, Bedouins, the endangered Arabia oryx, Petra, the Dead Sea and trekking through Dana Nature Reserve.
2. Borneo Family Advenure: Borneo’s jungles, beaches, caves, exotic wildlife, diverse species are revealed by trekking the relatively untouched Mt. Kinabalu and exploring the Kinabatangang River, home to wild boar, orangutans, elephants, king fishers, macaque and proboscis monkeys. Award-winning eco-lodges harvest rainwater, use solar power and manage wildlife rehabilitation.
3. Philippine Discovery: The Philippines is among National Geographic’s 20 Best Destinations for 2011 and Palawan Island is its top eco-destination. The 7,000 islands guests can swim with whale sharks, discover endangered sea turtles, spy on the rare Philippine eagle and discover the mountain-to-sea ecosystem of the Puerto-Princesa Subterranean River National Park. Eco-lodges serve locally sourced food and wildlife education.
4. Kayak Belize: Belize offers more than 87 distinct types of ecosystems, making ecotourism the lifeblood of its economy. Along with 150 identified species of mammals are rainforests, Mayan temples, the world’s second longest barrier reef and an abundance of eco-lodges educating travelers about the fragility of its ecosystem.
5. Delta & Falls Discoverer: Botswana favors low volume, high quality, environmentally conscious safari travel into the Okavango Delta and Kalahari Desert, the savannahs of the Moremi Reserve and the forests of Chobe and Linyanta Game Reserves. Guests enjoy game drives, walking, elephant/horseback/bicycle safaris and boating, plus youth explorer programs emphasizing conservation and bush survival skills. Tented bush camps are environmentally friendly.
6. Best of Eastern Europe: Poland has mountains, rivers and wetlands and is a haven for hundreds of thousands of migratory birds as well as avid hiking enthusiasts. With 23 National Parks and forests covering nearly 30 percent of the country, Poland has its own Big Game: the European bison, lynx, stoats, martens and red deer. Guests can enjoy eco-ranch lodges.
7. Dalmation Islands Walk: Croatia’s eco/agritourism focuses on culinary tours with locally sourced organic produce and family farm stays. Activities can include hiking, biking, rafting and canoeing.
8. Guyana Wildlife Adventure: Guyana’s mountain ranges, savannahs and jungle canopy walks combine with river and rainforest eco-lodges for close-up views of exotic birds, jaguars, red howler monkeys, giant river otters and other wildlife. The famed Karanambu Ranch rehabilitates orphaned giant river otters so they can be released back into the wild.
9. Glacier National Park – El Chalten: Argentina is home to Glacier National Park and the active Perito Moreno, one of the world’s only advancing glaciers, as well as the tropical rain forests of Iguazu Falls near Brazil, the Antarctic environment of Tierra del Fuego, the Andean mountains, the wind-swept Patagonian steppe and the coastal marine habitat of the Valdes Peninsula. Eco-lodges are crafted from local materials to integrate with the environment.
10. Ethiopia Explorer: Ethiopia may be a trek across the Roof of Africa through the virtually untouched Simien Mountains, home of the Gelada baboon, Walia ibex and endangered Ethiopian wolf. Or it may be Rift Valley Lakes and Blue Nile Falls or Lalibela, considered to be one of the greatest spiritual-historical sites of the world. Eco-lodgings are built in the traditional “tikka” style and solar-powered.
Copy Courtesy of eco-trailblazer Greenloons (http://www.greenloons.com/) a company that helps travelers source the green vacation of their dreams.
4 Ways To Spice Up Movie Night
Are this summers action-packed blockbusters making you feel adventurous? Spic...
Day in the Life: Shopping for Spring
Between Fashion Week in February and a seemingly endless winter, March completel...
5 Solutions to Common Scalp Problems
We know that healthy hair starts at the scalp, but what can you do if you need a...
With spring's sunshine upon us and summer on its way, now's the perfect time to ...
Go Bold or Go Home! Incorporate Color Into Your Wa...
With spring's sunshine upon us and summer on its way, now's ...
For The Latest In Fashion + Beauty
Get Our Weekly Newsletter