Still struggling to apply fake lashes that don’t look totally obvious thanks to globs of glue or unstuck corners? You’re not alone. Popping on a pair of falsies takes practice. But once you get the hang of it, fake eyelashes have the unmatched ability to add natural-looking length and volume. So, we called up beauty blogger Melissa Flores to find out exactly how to apply them so they look real — and last through the night. “You might not get it on your first try… but you can definitely learn just as long as you keep practicing,” she says. “I feel like they get a little easier to apply once you’ve worn them at least once, because they kind of like shape to your eyes.” Watch her easy-to-follow technique above, and soon you’ll be able to apply fake lashes with your eyes closed (swear).
Gather your supplies
- False lashes (Flores recommends House of Lashes Featherette Lashes, $12, but if you’re a beginner, she suggests using a drugstore brand like Kiss.)
- Lash glue (she prefers glue that dries black)
Follow these steps
- Start by measuring the lash strip to see how well it fits, says Flores. Before applying the glue, place it on your lashline. If the strip is too long, snip off any excess with scissors.
- Curl your natural lashes with a lash curler, then apply a few swipes of mascara to help the natural hairs better blend with the fake lashes.
- Apply lash glue to the strip, adding a little extra to each end to keep them from lifting, she says.
- Let the lash glue dry for at least 30 seconds before attaching the strip to your lashes. If you apply too quickly, when the glue is still wet, the lash strip will slide right off. “I know some people say to just let it get a little tacky for 30 seconds,” says Flores. “But when you let it dry for a good amount of time, it gets very sticky and once you place it, they just sit in place perfectly.”
- Once the glue is tacky, place the strip on the center of your lashline with your tweezers. Center it first, says Flores, then adjust the sides. Using the tweezers, gently push the strip toward your lashine.
- Once the glue dries, pinch your real lashes and the false lashes together so they blend in naturally.