Get Glam: How To Do A Daytime Smoky Eye (Video)
We love a sultry eye makeup look, but we understand that smoky eye shadow, thick eyeliner, and false eyelashes aren’t always appropriate for a morning meeting or a lunch date with your dude’s parents. Pulling off a smoky eye that is both exciting and wearable every day can be extremely tricky. You want it to look polished without looking overdone – or like you’re stumbling in from a night at the club.
The simplest way to tone down smoky eyes so that they’re daytime appropriate is by using brown shadows. Warmer shades like beige, chestnut, and copper instantly make the look more subtle while adding the same dimension as deeper shades. The best part: With the right color combinations and a little blending, a daytime smoky eye is surprisingly easy to achieve (even if you don’t know the difference between a swipe and a sweep).
Here’s your guide to get the look. Click play to slay.
What you need:
- Brown eye shadow quad (we like Tom Ford Eye Color Quad in Nude Dip, $85, used here)
- Brown eyeliner pencil (try MAC Comsetics Eye Kohl, $18)
- Three eye shadow brushes, one for shading, one for blending, and one for lining eyes
- Lash curler
- Brow gel
- Pink lip liner
- Pink lipstick
Follow these steps
- Start with your crease color, using your blending brush to sweep it along the crease of your lid from corner to corner. Build up color to desired intensity.
- Add subtle highlight to the brow bone using the lightest color in the shadow quad.
- Using your shading brush, apply the lid color (typically the second darkest, shimmery shade in the quad) up to the crease.
- Using the same brush, apply the darkest shadow to the outer corners of the eye, extending slightly up into the crease.
- Blend everything together with your fluffy blending brush, then clean up the edges.
- Mix the two darkest shades together with your lining brush and apply to lower lashline. Then, line your lower and top lashline using the eyeliner pencil; smudge it with your lining brush for a softer effect.
- Fill in and brush through brows.
- Curl lashes with a lash curler, and apply a coat of mascara.
- Finish the look with a few swipes of blush on your cheekbones and a rosy pink lip.