This Sweater Nail Art Is So Perfect For Winter
Sweater weather takes on new meaning with this cozy-chic nail trend. Knitted nail art is perfect for winter and can easily carry you through all your holiday functions. Whether you go for a full-on manicure or just an accent nail, it’s a high impact look that’s not too tacky or garish.
Winter White Sweater Nails
Accent Sweater Nail
Ombre Sweater Nails
And believe it or not, you don’t have to be a 3D nail art expert to create this 3D textured nail – it’s pretty easy to pull off! “The pattern doesn’t have to be perfect with super straight lines, considering the patterns on a real sweater aren’t,” says Galdina Jimenez, OPI Brand Educator and the creator of one of our fave sweater nail designs. Though a steady hand helps, as the sweater nail technique uses a detailing brush to create the texture of a cozy cable knit. To get the look, you’ll also need a gel polish set (base, color, and top coat), cleansing solution, color dip nail color, and an LED curing light.
Check out Jimenez’s easy-to-follow steps for nailing the trend below, then get ready to curl up in front of the fireplace with a glass of mulled wine and your manicure kit.
Step-By-Step Sweater Nails
- Prep nails with a gel color base coat.
- Apply two coats of gel color to prepped nails, curing after each coat. Jimenez recommends softs blues like OPI Gel Color in Less is Norse and Alpaca My Bags for winter.
- Apply a gel top coat and cure.
- Wipe the inhibition layer off with a nail cleaning solution, such as OPI N.A.S. 99, and an Expert Touch Lint Free Wipe.
- Using a detail brush and your desired gel color, paint on your favorite sweater design; leave the gel uncured when moving to the next step.
- Pour a clear color dip nail powder (try OPI Clear Set Powder Perfection) over the entire nail making sure to saturate the uncured design.
- Finish by curing the nails to set the design, then dust off any excess powder. Gently cleanse the nail with a nail cleaning solution.