3 Healthy Game Day Snacks
No one said that Super Bowl Sunday had to be all beer and 7-layer dip to be fun. Certainly, there are plenty of healthy snack recipes out there that'll impress your guests, satisfy their craving for indulgent snacks and keep your Super Bowl party. Make any (or all!) of these three recipes and you're sure to be one of the day's biggest winners.
Grape-Nuts Turkey Burger Sliders with Cranberry-Jalapeno Ketchup
½ cup ketchup
¼ cup chopped fresh or frozen cranberries
2 tbsp. chopped canned jalapeno
1 tsp. onion powder
1/3 cup Grape-Nuts cereal
¼ cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
1 tbsp. fat free milk
¼ tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
½ tsp. garlic salt
1 lb. lean ground turkey
1 large egg
1 tbsp. olive oil
12 slider buns or dinner rolls
- In a small bowl, combine ketchup, cranberries, jalapenos and onion powder. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- In a medium bowl, combine Grape-Nuts cereal, yogurt, milk, red onion, Worcestershire sauce and garlic salt. Let stand until cereal softens, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add turkey and egg and gently mix until ingredients are well combined. Using a ¼ cup measure, evenly divide turkey burger mixture to make 12 sliders approximately the same size as the bun you will be using.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add burgers and cook 4-5 minutes on each side. Remove from heat and serve immediately on warm buns with lettuce and prepared cranberry-jalapeno ketchup.
Touchdown Guacamole, from Jo Cooks
2 ripe avocados, seeded, peeled and diced
1 medium tomato, diced
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely diced
½ cup black beans, drained and rinsed
4 green onions, thinly sliced
1 lime, juiced
½ cup sharp aged cheddar cheese, shredded
salt and pepper to taste
- Add one avocado to a bowl and lightly mash. Add the tomatoes, jalapeno pepper, lime juice and lightly mix.
- Add beans, onions, cheese and the remaining avocado. Stir well and season with salt and pepper as needed. Chill until ready to use.
- Serve with crackers or tortilla chips.
Super Bowl Snack Mix, from A Communal Table
1 cup Sev
½ shredded coconut
½ cup raisins
½ cup dried cranberries
¼ cup pistachios
¼ cup cashews
1 Tbsp. ghee or clarified butter
1 ½ tsp. garam masala
2 tsp. sugar
¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- In a large saucepan heat the ghee or clarified butter over medium heat.
- Add the sev and toss to coat. Add the remaining ingredients and stir until everything is combined.
- Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve immediately.