This year's season of Mad Men may be over, but that doesn't mean you won't get your fill of flirty 60's inspired fashions this summer! Teen Beach Movie, Disney's latest project that premiered on July 19th,is set in that tre' stylish era. We love the fun mod looks from the film and are eager to rock a similar aesthetic this summer. Stylist Louise Roe also re-created the look of the era for a photo shoot with Teen Beach Movie stars Maia Mitchell and Garrett Clayton. We caught up with the talented Roe for her tips and tricks on how to achieve this retro summer mood.
Q: How can I go retro with my summer attire this summer without it looking like abad costume?
A: The key to adding these retro styles to a modern wardrobe is to avoid a head-to-toe vintage look. Follow some of these simple tricks to pull off the look:
- 60’s summer style is all about bright colors, ruffles, high waisted suits, polka dots, and cute cat eye sunglasses.
- A blue baseball jacket is a style staple this season - what I love about it is how versatile the trend is. Wear it with jeans and Converse for a retro Teen Beach Movie-inspired look, or rock it Rihanna-style with high-waisted shorts and giant shades.
- Round shades look amazing with a cute sundress - I love turquoise ones, the vibrant color keeps them fresh and young - very 'Pink Ladies' from Grease.
- A red dress is also my tip to wear on a first date, a polka-dot version with a cut-out and Peter Pan collar is just darling. Dress it down for day with flat white Keds or dress it up for evening with cork wedges and some chunky bangles.
- A statement necklace, like a detachable Peter Pan collar (very 60's), is an easy way to revamp so many outfits in your closet.
- Ooh, I'm obsessed with white cut-out Oxfords! You'll look like you walked right off the runway! Go for a tailored, androgynous look in skinny jeans and a bright printed shirt buttoned up to the top (look for fruit prints, very 60's), or keep the style girly with a metallic miniskirt and denim vest.