Dear B. Scott,
I’m trying to slim down for the Summer, any suggestions?
Well, love muffin as you know I stay working on my fitness and God is my witness! Keeping slim and trim for the summer seems to be on the top of everyone’s priority list, including my own.
Truthfully, in the past I was only concerned with being in shape when I had a vacation, photo-shoot or audition coming up. Over the years, I’ve realized that it’s best to adopt a healthier lifestyle so I don’t have to stress my body out with restrictive dieting and/or extreme gym routines.
I’ve asked my friend, Jeanette Jenkins, creator of the Sexy Abs DVD with Kelly Rowland and trainer to numerous celebrities including Tia Mowry, Alicia Keys, and Pink to share with us some easy ways we can all shed some pounds.
Top 5 Summer Slim Down Secrets
- Replace all of your sugar filled drinks with low calorie options. Instead of a frappucino or large soda (300-700 calories) choose flavored ice teas with lemon, iced coffee, Yerba Matte, Kombucha, Apple Cider Vinegar Drinks, Flavored water & low calorie drinks with electrolytes to keep you hydrated like Gatorade G Series Fit only 10 calories a bottle (my favorite flavor is Acai Blueberry).
- Get your workout in first thing in the morning. Before you grab your phone or check your email get your body moving. You will boost your metabolic rate so you burn more calories throughout the day and you will be less likely to skip out on your workout!
- Don't eat any sugars or carbohydrates for the first 2 hours after your cardio workout to increase your fat burning. You re-fuel your muscles with 50% of the calories you burned during your workout in the first 2 hours after your workout. You can re-fuel your muscles with your bodyfat if you keep your blood sugar low during the 2 hours immediately after your cardio workout.
- Choose low sugar snacks. Every time you eat sugar your body has to burn the sugar you eat before it will burn your body fat. The more sugar you eat the less fat you burn. Great low sugar snack options are: Non-Fat Greek Yogurt with fresh berries, Apple, Grapefruit, Orange, Low Fat Cottage Cheese with Whole Wheat Crackers & Tomatoes, Protein or Food Bar that is under 200 calories and under 15grams of sugar (The Macrogreens Bars, Mojo Clif Bars and the Lunar Protein Bars are 3 of my favorites).
- Always love yourself and wear a positive attitude. You can be a size 2 or a size 16 but confidence and a good attitude look beautiful on everyone!
Please keep in mind that you should consult your physician before you start a new fitness regimen. It’s also important to maintain a positive self-image. We all have our own shapes and sizes and the overall goal is to be healthy. Don’t stress yourself out trying to adhere to someone else’s idea of a perfect body image.
You have to take what nature gave you and work it!
Submit your questions now: Tweet me @lovebscott with the hashtag #AskBScott
B.Scott, The Multimedia Maven and Every Girl's Best Friend, serves as the premiere tastemaker of lovebscott.com, providing his 'love muffins' with the latest in celebrity news, entertainment, fashion and advice. He’s best known as one of the first internet celebrities to successfully transition into television and radio.