After figuring out how, where and with whom you'll be ringing in the New Year with, it's time to decide what to wear. We're not sure which step of the New Years Eve planning process proves more difficult. Not to fret, though, we're here to make part two a smoother endeavor with a guide on how to choose a dress that not only suits your style, but that you'll feel comfortable and beautiful in.
The first step is to choose a silhouette that is flattering for your figure. This season boasts an array of trending cuts to choose from. From the figure hugging bodycon dress to the more forgiving fit and flare frock, there's a style for everybody. We love how winter's popular peplum works for multiple figure types, depending on the dress's design. An all around peplum ruffle can hide a tummy pooch, while cutout peplum sides, like the black and white Michelle Mason dress featured below, gives the appearance of curves to narrower frames. Along with the body of the dress, deciding whether or not you'd like to show off your arms is an important factor to think about. Before you reach for the cardigan, consider a long sleeved dress. The black and gold metallic number by Topshop boasts a body hugging silhouette that is sexy enough in itself without needing to show off any skin. If you're keen for something more revealing, the lace sleeves on French Connection's Fast Iris frock cover you up while showing just enough something something.
Next, it's time to choose a print or design that suits your style. Sequins, lace, metallics, velvet, embroidery and lace are the designs you're bound to see everywhere during your dress shopping excursion. If you're a flashy fashionista, jump on board the sparkle trend and go for one of the sequined or leaden ensembles below. For something more subdued and romantic, velvet or lace is the way to go. The rich burgundy color and cascading cut of the maxi by Alexander Wang is devastatingly chic with minimal effort. We love the high lace neck line of the dress by Lipsy London too for a sexier take on the LBD.
Need some visual inspiration? Check out our favorite New Years Eve dresses below!
from left to right by row
1. Gig Exclusive Fit and Flare Gold Lurex Tank Dress, available at Intermix for $660
2. T By Alexander Wang Penne-Velvet Maxi Dress, available at The Outnet for $136
3. Lipsy VIP Waxed Lace Feather Dress, available at Lipsy London for $178.92
4. Flapper Dress, available at Topshop for $350
5. Glitter Velvet Midi Bodycon Dress, available at Topshop for $84
6. Michael Kors Sequined Metallic Boucle Dress, available at Net-A-Porter for $122.50
7. Aura Dress, available at All Saints for $295
8. Multi Sequin Shift Dress, available at Dorothy Perkins for $27
9. Mason by Michelle Mason Tow-Tone Peplum Dress, available at Net-A-Poter for $495
10. Fast Iris Lace Dress, available at French Connection for $198
11. Two Tone Cut Out Shift, available at Topshop for $360