Sorry I'm not sorry, I want a pair of mules. No, not the orthopedic slip-on kind, '90s slides, or garden clogs (though I'd probably figure out a way to work those too)--I'm looking for a pair a little edgier and more contemporary than that. Blame my latest obsession on Philip 3.1, The Row, and Alexander Wang (his mules were furry!), who all featured the shoe trend on the runway for fall/winter 2013. My final five pinks range from Jeffrey Campbell to Acne, and the overriding theme among them all is smooth leather in neutral earth-tone colors, and sophisticated, sleek cuts and style. With summer coming to a close, I'll be retiring my sandals soon and look forward to switching my feet into one of these beauties, though I don't suspect I'll have to give them up when the weather warms up again. Being that they're backless, they can definitely work in spring and summer too with knee-length to maxi frock. In fact, for San Francisco weather, chic, high heeled mules are pretty much an any season shoe, worn sockless with skinnies or a skirt when it's warm and with tights under a dress with layers in the breezier months. Now, to pick just one pair...
1. Jeffrey Campbell Brighton Heeled Mule, available at Urban Outfitters for $200
2. Maison Martin Margiela Line 22 Curved Heel Mule, available at Lagarconne.com for $397.50
3. Opening Ceremony Luxor Embossed Mule, available at Modaoperandi.com for $420
4. Acne Dana, available at Solestruck.com for $569.95
5. Alexander Wang Open-toe Mule, available at Yoox.com for $436