From Red Carpet to Reality: The Latest Formal Wear Trend to Try
Dressed in a soft black sweater and jacquard skirt from the Christian Dior Spring 2014 collection, Natalie Portman was a vision of contemporary femininity at the world premiere of Thor: The Dark World. Her lustrous ensemble has been a favorite in the street style world this season, with fashion's greatest trading in their frilly dresses for full skirts instead. Here's how to get the actress's red carpet look yourself!
If you're dressing for a formal affair this fall and winter, pair your ball gown style skirt (floor skimming, calf length, and midi all work) with something understated but chic on top. Make sure it shows off your cinched waist–a cropped sweater or a button down blouse that can be tucked in both work. Keep in line with the whimsical feeling of this ultra feminine look by adding classic pumps, diamond studs, and evening ready accents like Portman. For a more dressed down, urban style, simply up the outfit's edge with spiky heels and a leather moto-jacket. You can even wear it with a crew-neck style graphic tee and a statement necklace. The goal is to juxtapose the feminine and glamorous appeal of full skirt with more laid back pieces, so feel free to get creative.
1. Zara Cropped Shirt, available at Zara for $69.90
2. Tibi Rococo Full Skirt, available at Tibi for $650
3. T By Alexander Wang Chunky-Knot Cotton Blend Cropped Sweater, available at TheOutnet.com for $110.40
4. Sauda Printed Full Skirt by Stella Jean, available at ModaOperandi.com for $570
5. Knitted Crew Neck Crop Top, available at Topshop for $ 64
6. Checked Poplin Skirt, available at Gant.com for $198