From the Beach to the Party: How to Style the Deconstructed Do
The piecey post-beach look is one of our favorite styles for spring and summer. Undone, free-flowing locks rock for more than one reason. First of all, lazy girls can rejoice, because the deconstructed do is easier to style when your hair is a little dirty. Second, the look can last for days—it even works with bedhead. Lastly, it’s super low-maintenance. The whole idea behind beach waves is that it looks perfect through imperfection, meaning a little bit messy is the way we want it.
To get the look, make sure you’re first dressed for the part. You want an ensemble that’s as ready to go from the shoreline to the party scene as your do is. A flowing, sleeveless maxidress looks fab during the day and at night—laid-back at the beach with a tote and flip-flops and then ready for an evening out when paired with embellished sandals and a belt. Then, of course, it’s time to embrace your messy side with some beautiful beach waves (no ocean air or heating tools required). Garnier Fructis Style De-Constructed Beach Chic Texturizing Spray is our secret weapon. This delicious-smelling formula creates touchable waves that look natural—not sticky and weighted down. Here’s how to use it:
- Start with damp or dry hair.
- Separate hair into four or five sections, depending on the thickness and length.
- Twist and scrunch hair while spraying Garnier Fructis Style De-Constructed Beach Chic Texturizing Spray evenly throughout your strands.
- If you’re on the beach, leave your hair in these twists for up to 30 minutes.
- If you’re at home, blow-dry with a diffuser. And if you have the luxury of time, keep your twists in place overnight.
- Gently separate twists with your fingers, shake out, and you’re good to go.
Shop the look here:
- Scoop-Back Jersey Maxidress, available at Topshop for $36
- B-Low the Belt Gold Braid Belt, available at Shopbop for $70
- Roxy Mystic Beach Tote, available at Zappos.com for $39.50
- Tory Burch PVC and Rubber Flip-Flops, available at Net-a-porter.com for $50
- Sam Edelman Low-Heel Sandals, available at Nordstrom for $100