Keep it in Check: Five Ways to Rock the Square in Style
Check.Mate. We don't mean to be square, but bigblocked patterns are keeping us in check this season. The cubic trend dominated the runway, with designers like Louis Vuitton and Michael Kors delivering mod moments for Spring 2013. But don't feel fear the fashion. We have 5 fab ways to incorporate this 60s classic into our everyday style.
1. With the classic chessboard patterned shift dress, make things even more retro with black opaque tights or thick knee-high socks slipped into chunky vintage inspired heels. A small structured bow in your hair is a smart finishing touch to keep in line with the cute and quirky feel of the overall theme.
Marc by Marc Jacobs Checkered Jacquard Knit Dress, available at Marcjacobs.com for $348
2. The checkered fit and flare trench needs minimal accessorizing as the piece speaks for itself. The jacket is super flattering and ultra cool, and a chic pair of pumps are the perfect shoe to match. Underneath, go for a simple pencil skirt and sleek black turtleneck to keep the coat the main focus of the outfit. Red lips add the perfect pop.
Kelly Wearstler Noir Batik Twill Trenchcoat, available at Bergdorfgoodman.com for $537
3. A detailed, checkered blouse is gorgeous, and we see it with a pair of fitted black cigarette pants and patent leather dainty kitten heels for the ultimate check-yes look. This is the perfect outfit to try Twiggy inspired eye makeup out with.
Marni Blocks and Cube Long Sleeve Shirt, available at Marni.com for $475
4. If you're looking to ease into the 60s square pattern, get a pair of pumps donning the print. Wear them with a tailored shift dress, with or without tights, and a structured tote for some mad mod sophistication.
L.A.M.B. Checker Board Woven Court Shoe, available at Asos.com for $237.47
5. With a chessboard mini, wear a black sleeveless turtleneck, blazer and neutral colored pointed flats. Focus on your hair with a brilliant bouffant and keep makeup nude.
Factory Chessboard Check Mini, available at J. Crew Factory for $34.99