Natural Deodorants That Go Beyond the Rock
There are many reasons for someone to switch from regular to all natural deodorants: a fear of aluminum and the potential side effects, a desire to live a more natural and organic lifestyle, or just a desire to try out new and alternative ways from keeping your body's order from being offensive. Natural deodorants have sure come a long way, baby. From the days of the Crystal Rock to the popular rise of Tom's of Maine, it is no longer considered strange and unusual or super crunchy granola-ish to admit that you use an all natural deodorant instead of the standard drugstore varieties. The latest crop of natural deodorants have stepped up the fragrances and tend to use healthy skin ingredients like shea butter, vegetable glycerin and clay to combat moisture and odor. Check out these natural deodorant recommendations that get great reviews, some of which have been tried and tested by yours truly.
1. Schmidt's Deodorant Schmidt’s aims to change the way folks think about deodorant, and their all natural, cruelty free formula comes in a variety of elegant and exotic fragrances. Ylang-Ylang + Calendula, Lavender + Sage, or Bergamot + Lime – your call! Or fragrance free for truly sensitive types. It’s a rub-in shea butter/baking soda blend that comes in a jar, ready to absorb odor and keep you pleasantly fragranced.
2. Oyin Handmade Funk Butter Such an appropriately named and effective product! Oyin’s Funk Butter is made from baking soda, cornstarch, shea butter, coconut oil and kaolin clay, including other ingredients. It comes unscented, or in Coco Mango or Black Cedar Fig. It’s a thick paste that rubs in smooth while it soothes and fragrances your armpits.
3. Lavilin Underarm Deodorant Cream If you’re looking for something for sensitive and delicate skin, check out Lavilin. This thick deodorant paste makes a strong claim – it claims to “eliminate perspiration odor for up to 7 days with one application.” Made with castor seed oil, carnauba wax, zinc oxide and potato starch, , it has a mild , it has a very mild fragrance.
4. Nubian Heritage 24 Hour All Natural Deodorant If you’d rather use a deodorant in stick form, most definitely check out the new line of Nubian Heritage 24 Hour All Natural Deodorants. They come in a variety of fragrances, from Indian Hemp and Haitian Vetiver for those who prefer a masculine scent, to Coconut and Papaya with Vanilla Oil for girly girls.
5. Kiehl's Superbly Efficient Anti Perspirant and Deodorant
This deodorant is ideal for natural deodorant lovers who aren’t looking for highly fragranced product, they just want a gently effective alternative. This does the trick, and the blend of citrus oils makes for a smoother shave, too!
Contributing Editor, Patrice Grell Yursik is the creator of Afrobella.com, one of the first blogs to celebrate the beauty of natural hair and ladies of all skin tones and sizes. Affectionately called the Godmother of Brown Beauty Blogging, Patrice takes her readers inside unique beauty, fashion and cultural experiences.