#NYFW Spring 2011: Braided Chignons at Sophie ThÃ©allet
Well here's an interesting twist on the ever-popular braided ponytail… leave it to French doyenne of design to bring a touch of chicness to a typical laissez-faire look.
Sophie Théallet turned to Aveda and Antoinette Beenders to create an elegant, youthful look to complement her Spring 2011 collection. Says Beenders, “Sophie's collection is inspired by women with strong personalities and her clothes this season have a Mexican influence, with beautiful, easy-to-wear dresses. We wanted to create a look that evoked this boldness, so we created a clean, chic hair style that only a confident woman would wear. The braids are finished with Sophie's black taffeta headband, placed at the base of the chignon, for a style that resembles a modern Spanish comb.”
Here's a step-by-step guide on how to get the look at home using these three products:
1. Prep damp hair with Aveda Smooth Infusionâ„¢ Style-Prep Smootherâ„¢ for smoothness. Use a fine-tooth comb to create a clean center part and then blow dry straight using a Mason Pearson brush.
2. Brush hair back tightly and secure into a high ponytail below the crown—at the back of the head—using an elastic. Spray with Aveda Air Controlâ„¢ Hair Spray for shine and light hold.
3. Braid the ponytail. Gently massage braid with fingers for texture and spray with Aveda Control Forceâ„¢ Firm Hold Hair Spray for maximum hold.
4. Attach a black taffeta headband around the base of the braid, at the crown of the head, and secure with hairpins.
5. Fold the braid in half and loop upward to create a vertical, braided chignon. Secure against the head with hairpins. Set the look with Aveda Control Forceâ„¢ Firm Hold Hair Spray.