Personal Style 101: The Creative Professional
As a personal stylist in Los Angeles, the majority of my clients are creative professionals. Meaning they are 100% business but they work in a creative industry (think movie and television executives and fashion industry types). These women need to look professional while still expressing their creative side. Meaning there is no room for boring navy suits and pantyhose – save those for the White House.
Showing your sassy side while keeping it pro can be difficult. How do you balance the latest “it” shoe or bag without looking unprofessional? How do you wear a classic Theory suit without starting a snooze fest? Those are common questions that spill out my client’s mouths.
Lucky for you all, I do this for a living. Here are a couple of tips and tricks to nail the creative professional look.
What you’ll need:
- A great fitting black blazer
- Slim fit trousers (solid, patterned, or basic black will do)
- Equipment blouses
- Pointy toe pumps
- A well made leather tote
- Statement jewelry
How to get the look:
- Wear at least one business-like garment. Whether it is a classic blazer, a pencil skirt, a button front blouse, or a shift dress – something on your body should say business. I’m a sucker for a blazer; nothing pulls a look together better than a blazer.
- Be well heeled. A successful businesswoman is always well heeled. You can go trendy but be sure you are wearing closed toe shoes that are clean and polished to perfection.
- Say it with accessories. Take a professional ensemble to the next level with jewelry that shows your personality. How amazing would a classic black suit with a crisp white blouse look with a colorful statement necklace? One simple addition to your look can take you out of boring town in a flash.
- Neutrals are nice. Try wearing a non-businesslike silhouette in a professional atmosphere by wearing it in a soft neutral color. Something as wild as a motorcycle jacket can look downright conservative when you opt for a camel color instead of an inky black.
Lauren Messiah, is a Los Angeles based stylist and the creator of LaurenMessiah.com, a blog about designer deals, the hottest trends, and Lauren’s life as a fashion stylist.Lauren styles some of Hollywood’s most successful women in entertainment, celebrities, fashion editorials, and national ad campaigns. Lauren has been featured in Marie Claire, Vogue Italia, Grazia, WWD, OK! Magazine and Health Magazine.