Here’s a frightening fact: We’re a quarter of the way through 2015. When did that happen?!
Around this time of year, I always find it beneficial check-in with my New Year’s resolutions and do a little mental spring-cleaning of sorts.
New calendar months – and new seasons – feel like turning to a fresh page of paper in your favorite notebook, and there’s something really empowering about the feeling of a fresh start. I could write a book on “If I knew then what I now know,” (and perhaps I’ll do that in the future). I’ve learned a lot in the last 20-some years — both good and bad — and suffice it to say, I’ve finally found my rhythm in life… I think. And the little life lessons in this post read are a huge part of that.
As a result, here are a few of the thoughts and lessons I’ve collected throughout my life so far. (To read the rest of my favorite mantras and motivations, click on over to this post: 29 Things I’ve Learned in my 20’s.)
1. Things happen to us at different times in our lives. I’ve spent lots of time worrying that I don’t have what others do at my age, but I know that I’m living the unique life I’ve been given and that’s the way it’s meant to be.
2. You have two assets that you can never get back once you’ve lost them: your body and mind.
3. Don’t feel bad about saying “no” to activities, obligations and people that don’t add genuine value to your life.
4. Life is easier when you learn to accept an apology that never came. Don’t hold grudges — the only person you’re hurting by doing this is yourself.
5. Don’t compare your behind-the-scenes to someone else’s highlight reel. This is easy to do in the age of social media, but as they say — comparison is the thief of joy.
Contributing Editor, Hallie Wilson is the blogger behind corals + cognacs, an almost-daily dose of life and style. Here, she shares outfit inspirations, wardrobe creations and general musings on her evolving list of latest obsessions. Offline, Hallie takes time to enjoying life's little luxuries – like shoe shopping, manicures, and Zara.