Style Counsel: Can You Pull off a Cape?
Up, up and away! This year, superhero sleek meets runway chic, meaning we'll be flying high in cozy capes to keep us snug. In warm wools, tweeds and even fur trimmed styles, there's something so romantic and nostalgic about this Victorian era classic. Not to mention, the long, billowing silhouette is perfection for hiding everything else going on underneath it, meaning the piece can really be the main factor of your ensemble with little effort given to everything else. Keep the proportions on the bottom longer as to not look like you're only wearing a cape, however. Skinny jeans, black cigarette pants, tights under shift dresses or streamline maxis are the way to go. Heeled booties and leather pumps will give you a lift to make legs look long and lean coming out from under the coat, but smart flats are also perfectly fine. Keep accessories sophisticated and classic, going for timeless colors and strong neutrals. As for those cropped capes, falling above your elbows, styling is a little trickier. They look best when paired over a more dressed up midi or maxi dress with a fitted shape and a pair of heels. It's more understood, too, that it will be taken off once your event gets started.
from left to right by row
1.Dorothy Perkins Grey Long Cape, available at Dorothy Perkins for $69
2.Tsumori Chisato Double Knit Cape Jacket, available at La Garconne for $459.20
3. Prabal Gurang for Neiman Marcus +Target Sequined Cape, available at Neiman Marcus for $39.99
4. Aquilano. Rimondi Cape Jacket, available at Farfetch.com for $910.03
5. Sessun Reina Hooded Cape, available at Otten NY for $340
6. MARC by MARC JACOBS Forest Night Multi Camo Forks Parka Cape, available at Stylebop.com for $390
7. Juicy Couture Honey/Black Cheetah Print Faux Fur Cape, available at Stylebop.com for $182
8. Black Fleece Double Breasted Cotton Twill Cape, available at The Outnet for $324.97
9. Yves Saint Laurent Vintage Long Cape, available at Farfetch.com for $799.41