The boho-chic look sprung onto the scene in the early 2000's, when celebrity street style was becoming hot, hot, hot. Girls like Nicole Richie, Sienna Miller, and the Olsen twins couldn’t walk 5 feet without being snapped by the paparazzi. Fashion fanatics everywhere coveted this disheveled modern-hippie look. Today this look is still on-trend and very easy to achieve. I personally love it for the summertime as it's easy to wear, comfortable, and chic - what's not to love?
What You’ll Need:
- Leather ankle boots and/or sandals
- An easy-breezy maxi skirt
- Well worn jeans (either skinny or flared will do the trick)
- Cross body bag
- An ethnic inspired garment or accessories
- Felt or straw hat
- Jewelry for days
- Oversized sunglasses
How to Get the Look:
- Matching is for the birds! Have you ever known the Olsen twins to give a second thought to matching? Didn’t think so. Mixing metals, combining black and brown – are totally okay when it comes to this look.
- Layer it up. This is a great look for spring/summer but that doesn’t mean you should ditch your layers. Layer tee shirts and tanks or throw on a lightweight leather jacket for those cooler summer evenings.
- Load up on accessories. More is more when it comes to the boho-chic look. Gigantic sunglasses, a cross body bag, necklaces, bracelets, a ring on every finger … are all A-OK. Pile it on, baby.
- Mix in modern pieces. It’s easy to be mistaken for Janis Joplin with this particular look. I recommend mixing in modern pieces to avoid looking like a blast from the fashion past.
You are officially ready to look like fashionable free spirit. Peace!
Lauren Messiah, is a Los Angeles based stylist and the creator of LaurenMessiah.com, a blog about designer deals, the hottest trends, and Lauren’s life as a fashion stylist.Lauren styles some of Hollywood’s most successful women in entertainment, celebrities, fashion editorials, and national ad campaigns. Lauren has been featured in Marie Claire, Vogue Italia, Grazia, WWD, OK! Magazine and Health Magazine.