Personal Style 101: The Romantic
Are you sugar and spice and everything nice? Always believe in happy endings? Is pink your favorite color? Then you may just side with the girly-girls when it comes to fashion. Style icons like Zooey Deschanel, Taylor Swift, and Lauren Conrad have mastered the romantic style. I’m talking lots of lace, perfectly pretty pastels, and feminine silhouettes. You too can dress like one of the good girls by following my recipe for romantic style.
What you’ll need:
- A fit and flare dress
- Anything lace
- A little crochet—it goes a long way
- Vintage inspired cardigan
- Round toe pumps or Mary Jane’s for brownie points
- A strand of pearls or two
How to get the look:
- Go vintage or go home. Whether it’s real-deal vintage or vintage inspired, nothing says romance like a little nostalgia. Head to your nearest vintage shop and buy whatever speaks to your heart. If the scent of mothballs freaks you out, look for vintage inspired silhouettes like fit and flare or a classic pencil cut.
- Pop in a pastel. Let’s be real, there is nothing romantic about hot pink but pastel pink? Now we’re talking. Pastel shades of blue, pink, and yellow also happen to be very stylish this season—so get it while the getting is hot.
- Show some skin…like a lady! Dressing like a lady doesn’t mean you have to cover everything up but let’s not leave it all to the imagination. There is something very sexy about showing a little leg or a peek-a-boo of skin with a high-waist skirt and a cropped top.
- Put a bow on. Bows are always in style and nothing says nice girl like a strategically placed bow. Bows on your shoes, on a belt, or even in your hair adds instant romance to any look.
Lauren Messiah, is a Los Angeles based stylist and the creator of LaurenMessiah.com, a blog about designer deals, the hottest trends, and Lauren’s life as a fashion stylist.Lauren styles some of Hollywood’s most successful women in entertainment, celebrities, fashion editorials, and national ad campaigns. Lauren has been featured in Marie Claire, Vogue Italia, Grazia, WWD, OK! Magazine and Health Magazine.