The Scoop on The Most Social Movies From Summer 2013
Summer 2013 was quite the season for movies, bringing in a mind-blowing $4.76 billion, up 8% from the former record. Key in making it happen was social media, which studios and moviegoers alike utlized to promote films and create conversation around the movies and actors heating up the silver screen over the last 5 months. Using the official Facebook, Twitter, and Google+ sites of 45 summer blockbusters and 34 leading actors and actresses in them, Silverpop, a leader in digital marketing technology, judged this summer's winners and losers from a social perspective. Here's what they found:
1. Man of Steel made the greatest non-sequel/prequel social splash w/ over 2M followers, followed by The Great Gatsby.
2. Fast & Furious 6 was the #1 sequel with nearly 40M Facebook fans. Next up was Despicable Me (Minions!)
3. Despicable Me 2 barely beat out The Smurfs 2 for the top animated film with +11M followers on its social sites
4. Box-office rank and social follower-rank were comparable for this summer’s biggest flops. Note the info graph:
5. Fruitvale Station was this summer's indie film winner with 70,609 followers
6. The Bling Ring’s Emma Watson (@EmWatson) killed it on Twitter with 2,209,041 followers
7. Chloe Grace Moretz, star of summer's Kick Ass 2, sent out the most amount of Twitter updates this summer with 767 tweets.