What to Wear to SxSW Interactive
You've purchased your conference badge, followed all of the necessary social media accounts (allow us to suggest @SouthByFreeNoms; you'll thank us later), printed extra business cards, and secured a very elusive hotel room close to the action of downtown Austin. The only thing that's left before South by Southwest begins? Plan your outfits.
For SxSW newbies, here are two essential things to remember. Wear flats and layer. You'll be stomping all over downtown Austin to make sure you keep up with the conferences, the networking, and the parties, so heels are a no-go. During the day, Austin may be warm and sunny, but indoors the cranked up AC makes it super chilly, and when night rolls around, the temperatures drop. Throw a light jacket in your bag and a scarf around your neck and you'll be ready to take on any experience from the moment the sun goes up till way after the sun goes down. After all, the majority of connections happen at parties … so no reason to miss out just because your lacking in layers!
Other than that, your wardrobe should be simple and professional, but stylish enough to still show off your personality. You'll be in a sea of branded hoodies and T-shirts among all the tech guys, so it's more than essential to stand out without looking too fashion forward. Basically, as much as we hate to say it, leave the glitter at home.
1. T by Alexander Wang, available at Revolve for $80
2. BB Dakota Faux Leather Jacket, available at East Dane for $84
3. Chan Luu cashmere scarf, available at Net-A-Porter for $195
4. Opal Windsor necklace, available at BaubleBar for $38
5. Twitter handle necklace, available at Survival of the Hippest for $59.95
6. Ray Ban sunglasses, available at Nordstrom for $150
7. See by Chloe Harriet Hobo, available at Bloomingdales for $565
8. Gold card case, available at See Jane Work for $28
9. Printed clutch, available at C.Wonder for $48
10. Sam Edelman booties, available at Piperlime for $130
11. Printed neoprene skirt, available at Zara for $25.90